Friday, November 6, 2009

Note to Self

Just a note to self... transcript of Jiraiya's last thoughts from the latest Naruto episode, as he was dying -- I couldn't find a full transcript so I figured I'd just make one. This is me geeking out. Never you mind.

Actually, I skipped basically anything that wasn't Jiraiya's thoughts, so if someone else wants the FULL transcript, well, they can fill it out themselves. :-p

...

It's not how you live, but how you die in the ninja world -- a ninja's life is not measured by how they lived but rather what they managed to accomplish before their death.

Looking back, my life has been nothing but failures... Continually rejected by Tsunade... Unable to stop my friend... And unable to protect either my student or my mentor... Compared to the great deeds of the Hokage, my actions are trifling, insignificant things indeed.

I wish I could have died like each of the Hokage.

A tale is only as good as its final turn of events, the plot twist. Failures must be seen as mere amusements! They are trials, which hone your skills. I lived believing that... And in return, I swore I would accomplish a deed so great that it would obliterate all of my failures... and I'd die a splendid ninja!

At least, that's how it was supposed to go.

But... with my plot twist, my tale ending like this... The Great Lord Elder prophesied that I would guide that revolutionary. A person who will make a great choice, that will bring either stability or destruction to the ninja world.

I thought I would defeat Pain, stop the Akatsuki, and save the ninja world from destruction....

But in the end, I failed in that selection too.

How pitiful... that this will be the twist to "The Tale of Jiraiya the Gallant."

What a worthless story.

[Jiraiya recalls a conversation with Naruto's parents]

Naruto...

Now that I think about it, Naruto, you are just like that novel's main character. You inherited Minato and Kushina's wishes, their hopes. And yet... I...

[Jiraiya recalls a lecture he gave to Orochimaru: "A ninja is one who endures, one who stands brave. Let me teach you one thing: the most important attribute of a ninja is not the number of jutsu he masters. The most important thing is the guts to never give up!"]

Never go back on your word and never give up. Naruto, if that is your ninja way, then as your mentor I have no business whining. For everyone knows that a student inherits his ninja way from his teacher! Isn't that so, Naruto?

Never give up! That was the true choice I was supposed to make!

[Jiraiya, with great effort, manages to come to long enough to write something...a coded message]

Naruto... You are the child of prophesy, I'm sure of it now. I entrust you with the rest!

"The Tale of Jiraiya the Gallant"... Now it'll end a bit better I hope. The final chapter will be "The Frog in the Well Drifts Into the Great Ocean." Not bad. Not bad at all.

Now... it's about time I put down my pen.

Ah, that's right! What should I name the sequel? Let's see... "The Tale of Naruto Uzumaki." Yes... That has a nice ring to it.

No comments: